With all the crap that’s going on in America right now, I’m left feeling pretty much constantly irritable. While I don’t quite think that having the uglier muggle version of Lucius Malfoy as President Elect is quite the end of the world, I’m not pleased. I’m not pleased and I’m also scared. I have had so many conversations in the past few days explaining to toe-rags, idiots, and bigots why people are scared that I’m ready to scream.
This “Best Sci-Fi Movies” list is specifically a list of movies that don’t require me to think. I’m able to watch them and mentally relax. I’m in no way making the assertion that these are works of cinematic masterpiece. I’m not going to debate any of them. They’re on my ‘always re-watchable’ list, and that’s all that matters to me today. They are in no particular order.
Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you courtesy of The Broke and the Bookish.
My Top Ten Best Sci-Fi Movies
- Battleship – I just posted a review for this last night. Read it here.
- Serenity – They should have never cancelled Firefly, but I’m extremely happy to have Serenity in my life.
- Currently reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. Highly recommend it for my fellow Firefly fans out there!!
- The Fifth Element – To this day, and to the continual puzzlement of my daughter, I still randomly exclaim “Big Ba-Da Boom!” I just tell her she’ll understand when she’s older.
- Starship Troopers – So bad it’s good. Gigantic bugs. Lots of mindless action. A then-hot Casper Van Dien. ‘Nuff said.
- Independence Day – Okay, I’m just blantantly going to ignore the sequel exists. Independence Day is THE mindlessly fun, action-packed popcorn and adult beverages sci-fi movie.
- District 9 – Unusual take on aliens, and watching your average Joe get shrimpified. Yep. It’s good.
- Alien – For when I need to watch a female kicking butt and taking names. Plus, the alien is genuinely one of the scariest bloody aliens ever seen in movies. Argh!
- Men in Black – Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are just an interesting pairing to watch. For me, Men in Black hit the perfect ‘stupid fun’ note the whole way through. I’m not a huge Will Smith fan, but I’ll happily watch Tommy Lee Jones in just about anything.
- Predator 2– There’s just something awesome about Danny Glover versus Predator. The original Predator was fun and all, but this is one of those cases where I will pick the sequel over the original any day.
- Jurassic Park – I fell in love with this movie the first time I watched it. Even though I no longer watch it quite as regularly as I used to, it still holds a place in my heart. Sometimes you just need to sit back, have a snickers, and watch Dennis Nedry get what’s coming to him.
I knew you would have a great list. District 9, Alien and the Predator movies are all awesome ones to take your mind off of things. I totally get the scared feeling. My husband is obsessed with the news each night and every night, we just get madder and madder…and deep down scared. I totally understand where you are coming from. Thanks for sharing such a great list!
I was so scared watching the election that I was shaking. Anger is slowly starting to overcome the fear though. Anger that people are so stupid and unwilling to see what they’ve done. Anger that we’ve cut off our nose to spite our face. Sheer rage that America collectively went “Ah, we’re okay with racism, homophobia, and general bigotry!” ……*grumbles* I’m glad you enjoyed the list 🙂 Did you ever see the new(ish) Predator movie with Adrian Brody in it?
Now I think I need to watch the Fifth Element. It’s the only one I haven’t seen on your list and I adore the rest. LOL
Watch it ! Watch it now! It’s awwwweeesome!!
That sequel to Independence Day was pretty bad. I’ll ignore it with you.
They ripped off their own movie! Lol. They should have just called it a remake and been done with it.
I was not expecting Serenity to be as good as it was and I wasn’t expecting to love Firefly as much either. I could easily re-watch both of them.
The best thing is how quotable so many of the lines are. I think Firefly fans could trade lines forever!
Great list. We share 3 this week and if I could have had more I definitely would have had Predator and Independence Day.
sooo many good sci-fi movies! I just visited your page 🙂
Serenity and The Fifth Element are some of my favorites. A movie that can make you chuckle a few times is always a good thing, I think.
Sounds like fascist dystopia movies would not gain much favor from you these days. But the director’s cut of “Blade Runner” deserves some consideration.
I LOVE Independence Day, Alien and District 9! It’s funny because I’m horrible with anything remotely scary (as I’ve said many times before) but I really enjoy alien invasion/alien vs. human movies. District 9 is such a gruesome take on it, though.
Yeah, I’m really surprised you like Alien and District 9!
“uglier muggle version of Lucius Malfoy” I’m using this to refer to the guy from now on. I was so sick after almost 24 hours in front of the news.
Glad to see a few movies I have actually watched. I agree on the fact Men in Black is perfect to relax.
I love the Pug in MIB. Frank, I think? And yeah that’s how I’m referring to him from here on out. So accurate.