Top Ten Tuesday is, as usual, brought to you courtesy of The Broke and Bookish. This week’s topic is 10 of your recent 5-star reads. Fairly easy to do, so here’s we go. Links take you to the reviews.
Last 10 Books I’ve Given 5 Cool-thulus
Best Books Read in 2016 (so far)
- Flex by Ferrett Steinmetz
- No love triangle.
- Obsession equals magic
- Awesome ass-kickery.
- I AM by Michael Drakich
- Immediately sucks you in.
- Space Opera that doesn’t feel like a space opera
- Ending that makes you go: What…how did I NOT see that?!
- Badfish by Sue Rovens
- Main (good guy!) character likes to publicly, uhm, take himself in hand.
- Gruesome scenes that just have you snickering even as your stomach is turning
- Quick read that you can blow right through and feel really disturbed about liking it afterwards.
- The Kalbrandt Institute Archives: Hauntings by Chris Chelser
- Best way of stringing a group of short stories together that I’ve ever read
- The individual stories are very different, and very interesting
- Another quick read, but this time no ‘I’m kind of disgusted that I liked that’ feeling.
- Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan
- Puns and Action.
- Puns and Gore.
- Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
- This is a kid’s book that DOES NOT read like a kid’s book.
- Awesome disturbing ghost scenes at the end
- Great characters that are quite believable.
- The History Major by Michael Phillip Cash
- This is creepy but it makes me think.
- This is weird. What’s going on?
- I…what? This is strange. I like it!
- The Immortals by Jordanna Max Brodsky
- The grown-up’s Percy Jackson
- Strong, older female protagonist
- Snark, man, snark!
- The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine
- Best dang fairy-tale retelling I’ve read
- Kick-ass Snow White
- Great descriptions and non-stop action
- The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie
- Sea Monsters.
- Sea Monsters and Pirates, dangit!
Now, I kept this list to books that already have reviews up on the site, but there is one recent one I want to rave about.
Reviver by Seth Patrick. Holy crap! This was an excellent book! Just from beginning to end, the tension never lets up, he keeps you on your toes, the characters are fantastic, etc, etc. Bloody awesome! If I could give six Cool-thulhus, I would! Amazeballs!