We’re always looking for our next book. It’s a fact of bookworm life. The drive to read another book, and encourage others to read is rooted so deeply in some of us that there’s no chance of it ever getting dug out. At the same time, recommending books is a very tricksy proposition. There’s a fear of that person absolutely hating the book you recommended. Or of losing someone’s trust in your reviewing after they’ve read something you loved and they hated. It might just be one book out of a hundred, but once it’s done… This Top Ten Tuesday’s topic is books that we’ve read via recommendations, algorithms, lists, and all that jazz. Whether it be a “Since you liked…. try” or your favorite book blogger going absolutely crazy raving about his/her favorite read. Anything and everything, as long as it wasn’t casual browsing or review submissions. So here are the best book recommendations I’ve been given for science fiction and horror. I couldn’t actually hit ten, sorry!
As usual, Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you from Broke and Bookish.
Best Book Recommendations – Horror
- Chills by Mary SanGiovanni – I read this because of Michael Hicks’ review.
- The Fireman by Joe Hill – Excitement from various reviewers.
- Casualties by Dev Jarrett – Father, forgive me, but I’ve forgotten. I know whomever did it also recommended Kristin Dearborn, though.
- The Demonists by Thomas Sniegoski – Excitement from various reviewers.
Best Book Recommendations – Science Fiction
- Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor – Popped up on Audible as a ‘Since you liked’ things. Guys, I’m NUTS about this series!
- Tau Zero by Poul Anderson – A list of top hard sci-fi novels.
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristos – Excitement from various reviewers.
- The Martian by Andy Weir – I read an article where Adam Savage from the Mythbusters was going crazy over this book. That was enough to get me interested!
So here’s my Top (8) List of Best Book Recommendations. What are yours? Feel free to leave your links!