As usual, TTT is brought to you courtesy of The Broke and the Bookish.
Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I Can’t Figure Out Why Everyone Likes
- Scarlet from the Lunar Chronicles – could she be ANY more cookie cutter YA tossaway with no personality???
- Thorne from the Lunar Chronicles – Again, cardboard cutout much?
- Edward from Twilight – S.T.A.L.K.E.R
- Christian Grey from 50 Shades- See #3 + a cupful of Abuser.
- Snape from Harry Potter – He’s an asshat. Doing good deeds occasionally only makes him occasionally less of an asshat.
- Gale Hawthorne from Hunger Games – I never did understand the fascination with him or Peeta, actually. Both of them annoyed me more than anything else. Katniss was just doing what she needed to survive so I didn’t mind her as much.
- Xsadist from Black Dagger Brotherhood – okay, so this is more of a ‘type’ than a ‘him specifically’, but …but… just because a guy (or girl) has been through hell and is OBVIOUSLY screwed up from it doesn’t make them attractive. It doesn’t make me want to cozy up and think I can kiss their boo-boos away and have great bumping of uglies. Instead it makes me feel sorry for them and want to get them help. Emotional scarring to the point that you can easily tell the person has issues is not ‘sexy’ and I hate it when people are all over that like it is.
- …actually, no, you know what..number 7…that “type” comprises most of my list if I’m honest about it.
Say it with me: Emotionally or mentally damaged is NOT sexy. There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with it, per say, because they certainly didn’t ask to become that way, and that should not stop you from being their friend, but that state of mind IS. NOT. SEXY. They need help, not to be the object of infatuation. You can’t kiss that kind of damage better. Trust me – I am that damaged. I KNOW.
…wow, I kind of took a different take on ‘like’ there, didn’t I? but it still holds, regardless. I see people fangirling over people that, if they were real, would seriously need psychiatric help, and it just makes me wince.