Welcome to What’s Up in Horror #8. A sampling of horror news across the mediums. From movies to books, to real life, and any bits in between that I can think of to list. This is by no means a comprehensive list of what’s happening, but it should whet your appetite! Some minor formatting changes done.
Movies and TV
(covers/posters go to IMDB page.)
Movie Recommendation of the Week:
It’s hard to deny that winter is on it’s way (at least in the northern hemisphere!), so try starting December off with a movie that will bring the cold into your home. Wind Chill is a 2007 horror involving 2 college students, ride-sharing, ferocious cold and… well, you’ll see.
New Releases for December:
Trailers to Check Out:
The Belko Experiment isn’t supposed to be released until March, and it looks like nothing more than an excuse for a gorefest. With that being said, after watching the trailer, I’m definitely a bit excited!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNfwayNLL0
Eloise is a horror/mystery/thriller about four friends that break into an asylum for certain reasons. The main reason I’m interested in it is seeing Eliza Dushku in something new. However, the trailer is well shot. It looks like it’ll be pretty typical, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvbtNgIGuI
I’m going to take this time to fangirl for a moment over the TV show The Exorcist. If you haven’t watched it yet, you need to. I think they did a fantastic job altogether. Even though I don’t care at all about the daughters or the actresses that play them, I love watching Gina Davis, Alfonso Herrera, and Bill Daniels do their thing. They’re excellent, and when they’re on-screen you definitely feel like you’re there watching this unfold.
(Plus, there’s something about the two male actors that make me want to go to Confession just for the thoughts they inspire. I’d say Forgive me, Father, but… y’know. )
It definitely gets much better in the last 4 episodes than in the first few, so if you gave up on it – please go back and give it another try. The second to last episode had me going WHAT?!
Featured Horror Art
Drawlloween 27- Call of C’Thursday by Darksilvania on DeviantArt
(Covers go to Goodreads)
New to You
These books are not brand new releases, but they’re probably brand new to you (and they’ve got at least 3.75 rating on Goodreads)!
Note: Sci-Fi & Scary is not affiliated with any of these small presses or publishers. We just like giving lesser known horror books a chance to shine.
- The horror wreaths featured on BloodyDisgusting are absolutely awesome!
- 5 Horror Icons Who Never Got a Fair Crack at the Whip from AddictedtoHorrorMovies is well done. Especially with number 1.
- Graphic Novel / Comic fans need to check out this Dark Horse Preview for Richard Corben’s Shadows on the Grave from Paste.
- Like tabletop games? How about a horror-themed one called Kingdom Death: Monster? It’s raised 5 million on Kickstarter in 2 days according to Fortune!
- This was a good review of Incarnate. It’s not complimentary, but things aren’t always sunshine and puppy dogs, eh?
- WhatCulture says these are the 10 Upcoming Horror Games that Will Terrify You in 2017. I wouldn’t know, as I’m too big of a wimp to play horror games.
- Have you ever checked out Rotten Tomatoes Top 100 Horror Movies?
- Interested in seeing Train to Busan? I haven’t seen it myself, but JiminyCritic has, and this is what he says about it.