This is Horror, Issue 20 is a sampling of Horror News, including book and movie releases, and more. A little bit of everything to make the horror hound in you feel all fuzzy and warm. Or tingle with anticipation. Whatever works for you.
This is Horror’s Weekly Quote:
“I’m your number one fan.”- MISERY
Horror Movies Releasing This Week:
Horror Moves Coming Soon:
Happy Death Day
October 13th, 2017
A college student relives the day of her murder with both its unexceptional details and terrifying end until she discovers her killer’s identity.
Featured New Horror Release
The Devils You Know – M.C. Atwood – October 3rd, 2017
Plenty of legends surround the infamous Boulder House in Whispering Bluffs, Wisconsin, but nobody takes them seriously. Certainly nobody believes that the original owner, Maxwell Cartwright Jr., cursed its construction—or that a murder of crows died upon its completion, their carcasses turning the land black. If anyone did believe it all, there’s no way River Red High would offer a field trip there for the senior class.
Five very different seniors on the trip—Violet, Paul, Ashley, Dylan, and Gretchen—have reasons beyond school spirit for not ditching the trip. When they’re separated from the group, they discover that what lies within Boulder House is far more horrifying than any local folklore. To survive, they’ll have to band together in ways they never could have imagined and ultimately confront the truths of their darkest selves.
Other New Horror Release: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
Goodreads Horror GIveaways:
As even casual watchers of Supernatural will realize, Supernatural is particularly fond of classic rock. What often flies under the radar is the fact that their love of music also extends to the episode titles themselves. I had casually noticed it and thought it might make a nice ten episode length list. However, there turned out to be more than I thought so this will be Part One. Please check out my trivia section for This is Horror #21 for Part Two. Looking ahead there may even be a Part Three! I’m leaving off the somewhat generic titles that do have a corresponding song but since their meaning is so broad it’s hard to tell if they do connect the song and episode.
1. In My Time of Dying (S2, E1) – Led Zeppelin
2. No Exit (S2, E6) – Blondie (This is the only exception to the generic sounding title rule as the lyrics and episode plot with Jo, a blondie herself, argue for their connection)
3. Crossroad Blues (S2, E8) – Robert Johnson
4. Houses of the Holy (S2, E13) – Led Zeppelin
5. Born Under a Bad Sign (S2, E14) – Albert King
6. Folsom Prison Blues (S2, E19) – Johnny Cash
7. What Is and What Should Never Be (S2, E20) – Led Zeppelin
8. Dream a Little Dream of Me (S3, E10) – Ozzie Nelson
9. Time is on My Side (S3, E15) – The Rolling Stones
10. When the Levee Breaks (S4, E21) – Led Zeppelin
Please check out the trivia section next week for Part Two!
Horror on the Web
[Video] “Lore Review” – Deadline
“Why We Write About Horror Amidst Tragedy” – Dread Central