This is Horror, Issue 24 is a sampling of Horror News, including book and movie releases, and more. A little bit of everything to make the horror hound in you feel all fuzzy and warm. Or tingle with anticipation. Whatever works for you.
This is Horror’s Weekly Quote
“imagination, of course, can open any door – turn the key and let terror walk right in”
– Truman Capote
Featured New Release for December 1st, 2017
A sleep doctor tries to protect a family from a demon that feeds on people in their nightmares
Horror has reached almost all media outlets but one area that’s far too often overlooked is…board games. Yes, there are board games that do their best to scare the bejeebers out of you. Down below are a couple I’ve tried and a few more that I’d just love to get my hands on. It is hard to get the creeps from a board game. You can’t dim the lights too much if you actually want to see the dang board at all. But enjoy trying to be because at the very least they’re not dull!
1. Nightmare: The first game in the AtmosFear series, it’s a little plainer than AtmosFear: Harbingers but still fun with some neat effects.
2. AtmosFear: This is an awesome game and so much fun to play. Although if you get it I would make sure to get the older AtmosFear: The Harbingers with the VHS tape (if you still have a VCR, that is) because the DVD one just isn’t that fun. I’m not really sure why they changed it since Harbingers was their top-seller.
3. HorrorClix: Based on the HeroClix system of play using an assembled ‘team’ of horror figures, both monsters and monster hunters. Focus of play is on the figures and using ‘scenario’ and ‘plot twist’ cards to emphasize the storytelling aspect of it.
4. Call of Cthulhu RPG: Created by Chaosium, the gameplay is similar to that of Dungeons and Dragons but instead of the emphasis being on fighting a lot and leveling up your character it’s more story-based. My family is actually playing this while we speak. It’s our first game and at the moment I’m a very inept Keeper but if I get better, hopefully, I’ll let you guys in on an audio stream. It’s a very…disparate lot. We’ve got a Keeper/Speakeasy Owner, Sea Captain, Keeper/World War I Lieutenant (we take turns, his story is next), a Graverobber, a Thief and an Ex-Cultist.
5. Which Witch: I did get this from a yard sale but it’s incomplete so it’s unplayable at the moment. It looks a bit silly, geared more toward younger children.
Titanic: Although not quite in the horror genre it does make you wonder what on earth made someone think: “We need a new game…something light-hearted and whimsical. I know! The Titanic!!” The object of the game is to collect various things from the ship (passport, health clearance, valuables, etc.) before trying to make your way to the upper deck. First one to the lifeboats wins. Fun, huh? And if you’re asking yourself how on earth I know this? I have it. I’ve played it. I have no shame.
Featured New Horror Release
Darkest Hours – Mike Thorn – November 21st, 2017
In the bleak landscape of Darkest Hours, people make decisions that lead them into extreme scenarios – sometimes bizarre, often horrific, always unexpected. Between this book’s covers you will find academics in distress; monsters abused by people; people terrorized by demons; ghostly reminiscences; resurrected trauma; and occult filmmaking. Ranging from satirical to dreadful, these stories share a distinct voice: urgent, sardonic, brutal, but always empathetic.
Also newly released:
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant (review)
Patient Zero by Terry Tyler (review)
Goodreads Horror Giveaways
This is Horror’s Weekly Poll
Note: If you are shocked we left a movie off, please feel free to list it in the comments. If enough people talk about it, we’ll include it in the final round.
Horror on the Web
If you liked The Houses October Built – Check out the trailer for the sequel here: The Houses October Built 2
Guillermo del Toro is a bit regretful that he turned down the offer to helm some of the ‘Dark Universe’ properties. So are we Mr. del Toro, so are we.
For those Black Mirror fans out there here’s a Season 4 teaser trailer
If this game mentioned on Bloody Disgusting ever becomes a reality, I want it. I wants it a lot, my preciousss…