Sci-Fi & Scary is continuing to grow. It has been an amazing year since GracieKat has joined the team, and she’s brought a lot of fresh, additional content to the table. I’ve loved having her, and am glad we decided to keep the relationship going past the trial period. We both have things we like and dislike and they don’t always match up. It brings a fun element to our joint posts, when we’re bickering about Top Ten Tuesday topics and things like that. It has worked out amazingly well. And now, a year later, we know each other well enough to see what we’re both comfortable with doing, what we enjoy, and what we don’t.
And, one thing we can both agree on, is we don’t particularly enjoy reviewing young adult sci-fi and/or horror. (Mostly science fiction.) Maybe it’s because we’re crochety cat ladies, but we pretty consistently shy away from titles in which we judge there to be an excess of hormones, swooning, love triangles, and all that ‘fun’ stuff.
Now, of course there have been notable exceptions to this. Some of my favorite titles over the past couple years have been young adult horror. But, the exception is not the norm. And we’d rather stick to the stuff we know we’ll have a stronger chance of liking.
That’s why we’re reaching out, looking for another reviewer to join the Sci-Fi & Scary team on a very specific, limited basis (at least to start).
Understand this is not a paid position. It would be lovely if this actually made us money, let alone enough money to pay someone else, but… heh. Not happening.
This would be perfect for you if you love reviewing, but the idea of (or the practicality of) maintaining your own site is intimidating. Maybe if your schedule just doesn’t allow you to post as much as you feel like you need to. Or if your reach/numbers aren’t quite what you would like them to be to receive ARCs and the like, this may be a step up for you.
We are looking to have this person start January 2018.
What we require:
- You must be at least 18 years old and is active on social media.
- You must be able to commit to at least 2 reviews a month. (If you can do more, that’s fantastic, but 2 is the minimum.)
- These will be set up on a regular schedule (such as every other Wednesday at 6:30 PM).
- You must be able to deliver consistently. Occasionally life gets in the way, and that’s understandable, but best effort is expected.
- These reviews must cover a book in the young adult science fiction or young adult horror sub-genres.
- We would prefer these to be fairly recent releases, but it is not a requirement.
- These reviews must be your reviews. You will also post them to Goodreads, Amazon, etc.
- You must review honestly and free of influence. You will not accept any sort of monetary incentive for doing a review.
- Your reviews must be of the books, and not the authors.
- Your reviews must be at least 300 words long. (That’s really only a couple of paragraphs.)
- This does not include posting the synopsis and all of that. Just the review itself.
- While snark is welcome, racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc, is not. You will not a jerk.
- If you choose to sever the relationship, you agree that Sci-Fi & Scary has the right to keep the original reviews up, credited to you, (non-exclusively, of course).
If you are interested, please fill out the contact form below, and be ready to submit at least 3 previously done reviews (on Goodreads is fine) for our review.
We are looking for someone who is a good fit with the team. So be prepared to chat it up with us a bit so we can make sure we’ll work.