Why didn't it work for you?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by gplus-profile-picture Lilyn G 3 days, 1 hour ago.

• Author
    gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

Obviously not everyone is going to love Whispering Corridors. There’s a variety of horror out there for a reason.

So, what didn’t work for you? What would have made it better?

David Dubrow
    Participant

It’s always dangerous to suggest what would have made a book better, because there’s the implication that you’re trying to rewrite the book for the author. So I’ll avoid that.

The characters weren’t terribly likable, and their relationship was more based on hostility than friendship. A hostile relationship works great in movies like Midnight Run, but not so much here, where I was wondering why Eric and Lydia hung out together. So that was a major problem for me: I didn’t care what happened to them. Also, the Upside-Down Man, while creepy in the beginning, virtually disappeared by the middle part of the book. Hence, he wasn’t really scary.

S.A. Barton
    Participant

I was kind of lukewarm on it — some engaging bits, some fails.

Despite its short length, I ended up with the feeling that it should have been shorter. Like the argument over whether or not to go into the house after dark — how many times was it repeated, and with basically the same sequence of debate points from each character? I remember five, but if you loosen the definition of arguing a bit the count climbs to seven or eight.

Grabbing my phone for the notes I highlighted — there was another whoops in there that was less pronounced for me, but must not have been too bad if I have to grab the notes to remember.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

They definitely did argue a LOT, but it didn’t bother me too much because I’m the type to worry things to death and I probably would have had just as many arguments.

S.A. Barton
        Participant

I’d have liked a bit of variety in the arguments, some evolution of reasoning and fears maybe. That could develop the story and plant some creepy feels in the reader as they bring up new and different worries and what-ifs.

As it was, I only really noticed it because it really was the same argument. It was kind of plagiarised from itself at each appearance, not even paraphrased. The deja vu pulled me out of the story.

S.A. Barton
      Participant

There we go. A couple of consistency whoopses. The “I’ve been having these dreams” when Eric wakes up from his second dream sequence. Sounds like a couple dreams got cut to me. There was an “upon closer inspection” detail while he was driving at frantic speed, too. Did he, uh, lean way out the window? Or was there a pulling-over-and-looking scene that got cut, and this is the band-aid?

Also the thing with the black tourmaline, OMG. When he steals the thing for no reason whatsoever there might as well have been a footnote that said “this, of course, will save him from the bogeyman at some point” because it was soooooooooooo obvious.

S.A. Barton
        Participant

Just thought of another. They really did bug me; I’d have had a much better impression of the story if the inconsistencies had been cleaned up. At first, Eric had never heard of the Upside Down Man stories. Later, as he’s asking around for information, he’s all like ‘yeah I remember those stories from when I was a kid but I didn’t take them seriously.’

Well, which?

I swear, it feels like there was a lot of cutting and rewriting at one point and stuff just didn’t get spliced back together quite right.

gplus-profile-picture
        Lilyn G
        Keymaster

TOTALLY agree with you on the tourmaline thing! That was super obvious!

GracieKat13
    Participant

In general it was better than I was expecting but if there was one thing that made me not love out quite as much it was Lydia. Her whole attitude was rude in general. Like when Eric is worried about how safe the house is, structure-wise and she makes fun of him for it. Her attitude just bounces around so much. First she’s so terrified that it’s after them and then immediately after is hunky dory. Plus she’s so scared but won’t explore any options but one to fix their problem?

Maybe it’s just me but I’d be trying psychics, priests, anything I could get my hands on to figure out how to stop it.

Joe Hempel
    Participant

I’ll be honest, I’m kind of glad the roles were reversed, it’s usually they guy being the jerk, and this time it was the other way around.

GracieKat13
      Participant

I just could not warm up to her but yes, it is usually the guy being the jerk about the whole thing. Her being an ass about him worrying about getting hurt I think was what bugged me the most. Old houses, haunted or not, can be dangerous. I’ve got a scar to prove it, lol. That and her band shirts.

There was something else that bugged me about her but since it’s really petty I won’t mention it.

Teri Polen
    Participant

The characters weren’t terribly likable, and their relationship was more based on hostility than friendship.

I have to agree with David on this one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

• I love Audible. Tons of books, fantastic narrators, good prices.