The Fungi. Oh, the Fungi.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JB Rockwell 1 day, 9 hours ago.

• Author
    gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

The cordyceps fungi seems to be the new terrifying thing from nature that’s going to cause the zombie apocalypse according to pretty much any zombie book you read lately it seems like. While it’s not exactly that here in Agents of Dreamland but “something similar”, what do you think of the whole fascination with the ‘zombie fungus’? What’s going to replace it?

Who would have thought even ten years ago that fungi would be the next big scary thing in fiction??

And was that scene where the chick’s face burst with spores not absolutely disgusting? Ewwwwwwww.

Another question for this thread (from JB Rockwell): One thing that confused me was why the aliens turned people into mushrooms and if it was purposeful or the result of some contagion. Like, did the mushrooms later become aliens? Were they some kind of food?

• This topic was modified 3 days, 13 hours ago by gplus-profile-picture Lilyn G.

JB Rockwell
    Participant

Is it bad that I’ve been obsessing over the fungi problem? I still can’t figure out the point. Obviously, it takes humans out of the equation, so maybe this is just the aliens’ way to clear out the pesky local populace and make room for themselves? C’mon’! What is this fungus amungus??!!

S.A. Barton
      Participant

I think the point was that it was happening because of unknowable alien motives, maybe simply a pod people thing, and the actual focus was “this is horrifying, isn’t it?”

I kind of stopped trying to figure out the why behind anything in this one, because it seemed to me it was pretty much the Lovecraftian ‘unknowable alien-mind insanity’ thing.

gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

I don’t think the people were turning into food. I think the spore were like… Fertilized eggs or alien babies.

JB Rockwell
    Participant

So, the people become hosts and alien babies birth from the spores? Or maybe the fungi is a transition state before humans turn into aliens? And what the hell is with Standish the soothsayer and his missing brain??!!

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

I think so. And The missing brain was another Lovecraft thing.

GracieKat13
    Participant

I think with this type of stuff it’s partly the ickiness of exploding puff-ball faces and the infectious nature that always seems to pop up with that.

I don’t read many zombie books so I didn’t even know it WAS a thing with zombies.

And yeah, anytime anything pops that shouldn’t is just ‘ugh’ and gross. It always makes me gag somewhat.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

Oh yes, definitely a thing. Most notable is Girl with All the Gifts

Michael Hicks
    Participant

love fungi zombies! This is a trend I am perfectly A-OK with!  😀

I cannot account for the timeline of transformation or how infections works and the hosts mutate and what not. It’s an issue I would certainly enjoy seeing expanded on. The concept itself comes from Lovecraft’s “Fungi from Yuggoth,” which I haven’t read yet, but it’s certainly on my radar now.

It’s been pretty neat to see Lovecraft’s influence in modern horror. I’ve been enjoying these various Lovecraftian stories over the past few years. If you’re in need of more fungal apocalypse, check out William Meikle’s Fungoid from DarkFuse.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

I intend on picking that up at some point.

GracieKat13
    Participant

Also, (and I really hope I’m hitting the reply right so everyone can see it ok) I do believe in the video game The Last of Us it’s some kind of fungal infection that is doing the zombie thing but I’m not sure. I haven’t played it yet.

Michael Hicks
    Participant

Yup! That was indeed The Last of Us. I believe the cause of the dragon scale in Joe Hill’s The Fireman was fungal related, too.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

Yes – the Dragonscale was fungi of some sort. He just didn’t pull referencing Cordyceps into it, I believe.

JB Rockwell
    Participant

So let me get this straight: every last one of these apocalyptic stories can be settled with some Neosporin.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

SHHHHHH!! That’s State Horror secrets right there JB! LOL

JB Rockwell
    Participant

Blast! Uhh…nooooo. That wouldn’t work at all. Flaming trains. Yes-yes. That’s the ticket…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

• FTC Disclaimer

While Scifi and Scary does review books that they own or check out from the library, a large number of books do come from authors or publishers who have submitted the work in exchange for an honest review.

Also, unless otherwise stated, please assume that all cover images and synopses come from Goodreads or IMDB and belong to the respective owners for the work. All items are used for the purpose of review under fair use terms.

• Amazon Associate Disclaimer

Scifi and Scary Book Reviews is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.com.

* “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”*

• I love Audible. Tons of books, fantastic narrators, good prices.