Lovecraft, Vonnegut, and ? How many references were there?

Home Forums Dare 2 Discuss Agents of Dreamland – March 22nd Dare to Discuss Forum Lovecraft, Vonnegut, and ? How many references were there?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GracieKat13 1 day, 9 hours ago.

• Author
    gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

There were lots of references in this book, especially to Lovecraft and Vonnegut. I caught the more of the Slaughterhouse Five references than anything from Lovecraft. But my best guess were there were at least 5 separate references in Agents of Dreamland.

Were there any besides Lovecraft and Vonnegut?

-The Lovecraft Poem

-References to Billy Pilgrim

-Quote “and so it goes”

-General ‘unstuck in timeness’

-Yuggoth

-Funky looking Cthulhu monster thing?

-Star Maiden

GracieKat13
    Participant

I also think maybe a couple of X-Files references. The Dreamland thing – There are two episodes called that on the X-Files. In the episodes, ‘Dreamland’ is a covert area that tests secret aircraft which causes a weird time warp that makes people swap bodies and integrate with rocks and each other.

There’s also two other episodes, one called ‘Firewalker’ and the other called ‘F. Emasculata’ that it made me think of. Firewalker has them discovering some new fungi-ish thing that grows in the body and explodes through the throat (it’s really gross looking).

In F. Emasculata there’s a bug type thing that explodes out of the cheek and is highly infectious.

There’s also one called ‘El Munda Gira’ with a weird yellow fungus from space that eats one girl’s face off and turns two brothers into walking, contagious fungus factories.

JB Rockwell
      Participant

Oooh! Nice catch! I completely missed the X-Files connection until you mentioned it but I think you’re right on!

gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

Never even had a hint of the x,files but I see the fungus thing in sooo many books.

GracieKat13
    Participant

I think the two stories (besides the Fungi poem) it’s referencing are ‘The Colour Out of Space’ and ‘The Whisperer in Darkness’. She seems to write about fungus quite a bit.

Michael Hicks
    Participant

Good call on The X-Files! There was a definite vibe about it in this book, but I thought it was more in mood and atmosphere. I’ll have to revisit those episodes. Nice connections there!

GracieKat13
    Participant

Thank you! I haven’t read any of Vonnegut’s works so I’m not sure what were his exactly.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

Specifcally, Vonnegut’s were the whole “adrift in time” thing, Billy Pilgrim is the main character in Slaughterhouse Five, and the phrase “So it goes” is used in that book specifically too.

Michael Hicks
    Participant

I haven’t read a word of Vonnegut either. Most of my reading is pretty current stuff. I hate to admit it, but I’m not too well read when it comes to the “classics” or icons of the genre. 🙁

GracieKat13
    Participant

Ah, ok, thanks! I’ve read horror classics but more modern classics I’m not too up on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

• FTC Disclaimer

While Scifi and Scary does review books that they own or check out from the library, a large number of books do come from authors or publishers who have submitted the work in exchange for an honest review.

Also, unless otherwise stated, please assume that all cover images and synopses come from Goodreads or IMDB and belong to the respective owners for the work. All items are used for the purpose of review under fair use terms.

• Amazon Associate Disclaimer

Scifi and Scary Book Reviews is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to www.amazon.com.

* “Amazon, the Amazon logo, MYHABIT, and the MYHABIT logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”*

• I love Audible. Tons of books, fantastic narrators, good prices.