Lack of Plot

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Hicks 1 month ago.

• Author
    gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

This question was submitted by David Dubrow:

Did the lack of a plot concern you, or is this kind of stream-of-consciousness/slice-of-life kind of narrative an acceptable way to tell a story?

gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

Honestly I was so annoyed from the get go,with this story that I never noticed the lack of plot!

JB Rockwell
    Participant

I thought of it more as a spiralling or looping plot than no plot. But it DIDN’T really have an ending. The weird thing is, with freaky chick Immacolata (not sure I spelled that right) and her time travel power you think they would have changed this but it either the point was you can’t change history or she was making sure things stayed on the path because even with the info she gave the Signalman, nothing seemed to change or get accomolished. Or am I way off. The spiralling made me dizzy and confused at times…

Michael Hicks
    Participant

This is a style of writing known as a slice-of-life vignette, where we’re given a pretty shallow narrative with a brief page count. It’s all about characters reacting, rather than dealing with plot, and that’s what we got. There’s a narrative, and threads of it were scattered all over the place, but it’s definitely not an A–>B–>C kind of story. And yeah, there was no ending at all, which is another conceit of vignette storytelling.

JB Rockwell
      Participant

Me no likey. Me wanted something go boom.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

I knew I had seen it before but didn’t know it was actually a style. Thanks!

GracieKat13
    Participant

It confused me as well, the time jumping. I had to recheck the chapter header a few times to be sure what time period we were in.

Am I the only one who was very confused by Immaculata? What was she exactly? I don’t mind things that are ambiguous sometimes but she and the Signalman? I had no idea what they were, who they worked for or what was going on with them half the time.

I’m not a huge fan of stream-of-conscious writing. This and short stories aren’t too bad but the longer works bother me when they do that.

Also, I’ve read one other book by the same author (The Red Tree) and a few short stories. And it doesn’t seem like she can ever end them. She jut sort of…stops.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

I thought she was an alien ..

JB Rockwell
    Participant

I hate to say it, but Immacolata almost felt like yet another twist on the whole vampire thing…le sigh…

S.A. Barton
    Participant

I think it’s acceptable, definitely. It’s much more in home in its native land, the literary short story. But there can be a place for it, or other kind-of experimental or avant-garde writing tactics.

They’re just harder to pull off. I’ve never really tried it, though I’ve done a vignette or two which is a different form of no-plot story.

JB Rockwell
    Participant

Understanding all this about the type of story/writing employed, I STILL widh there had been a LITTLE more action. You have a drunken, burnt out agent eith a seemingly endless supply of liquor bottles and an infestation of fungi-humans. Can’t I get ONE molotov cocktail?

S.A. Barton
      Participant

Seriously. A Molotov in a spore cloud would be like a wheat silo explosion, very pretty. And then that nuclear explosion to bright sky comparison would have had a purpose, kind of, as foreshadowing.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

Dude, a molotov would have made this SOOO much more fun!!

Michael Hicks
    Participant

Molotov cocktails really should be a requirement here!

JB Rockwell
      Participant

Or a flamethrower. Something involving fire. 🙂

Michael Hicks
    Participant

Oh hell, yes. I always kinda thought killing things with fire was mandatory in these types of situations.

JB Rockwell
      Participant

Okay, okay, okay. I’ve got it: flaming train driven into the cult compound full of fungi bodies.

gplus-profile-picture
        Lilyn G
        Keymaster

Excellleeeeeeeeent.

Michael Hicks
    Participant

I like the way you think, JB. 🙂

JB Rockwell
      Participant

*tips cap* Also, I like fire *snicker*

GracieKat13
    Participant

Sorry to go back to the original Lovecraft story but it does say in that that the clickety alien things do have human-ish emissaries, some are implied to be fairly influential (they start screwing with the the guy’s mail) so maybe she’s one of those?

See, when the world is ending you’ll be thankful for us smokers. We always have lighters, lol.

gplus-profile-picture
      Lilyn G
      Keymaster

Yeah, the way they talked about her paleness and keeping her eyes covered..and she just never seemed ‘human enough’.

Yes, fire in the apocalypse will be a wonderful thing. lol.

JB Rockwell
    Participant

Did snyone pick up the time period of the main thread with the Signalman? It felt 1960s to me…

Michael Hicks
    Participant

I actually thought it was set present-day, and it was just the author’s style. I did feel “dated” but I didn’t actually didn’t think the time period was something other than present-day. Not you’ve got me wondering if there were cell phones and computers, or if I only thought there were.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

• I love Audible. Tons of books, fantastic narrators, good prices.