Agents of Dreamland Information and Participant Reviews

Home Forums Dare 2 Discuss Agents of Dreamland – March 22nd Dare to Discuss Forum Agents of Dreamland Information and Participant Reviews

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by gplus-profile-picture Lilyn G 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

Join us on March 22nd at 7 PM EST to discuss Agents of Dreamland by Caitlin R. Kiernan.

Book cover for Agents of Dreamland
    Agents of Dreamland Synopsis: A government special agent known only as the Signalman gets off a train on a stunningly hot morning in Winslow, Arizona. Later that day he meets a woman in a diner to exchange information about an event that happened a week earlier for which neither has an explanation, but which haunts the Signalman.

In a ranch house near the shore of the Salton Sea a cult leader gathers up the weak and susceptible—the Children of the Next Level—and offers them something to believe in and a chance for transcendence. The future is coming and they will help to usher it in.

A day after the events at the ranch house which disturbed the Signalman so deeply that he and his government sought out help from ‘other’ sources, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory abruptly loses contact with NASA’s interplanetary probe New Horizons. Something out beyond the orbit of Pluto has made contact.

And a woman floating outside of time looks to the future and the past for answers to what can save humanity.

You can order it on Amazon (Kindle edition) for 2.99.

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31189177-agents-of-dreamland?from_search=true

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by gplus-profile-picture Lilyn G.
    gplus-profile-picture
    Lilyn G
    Keymaster

For your convenience, here are brief excerpts and links to participant’s various reviews.

Lilyn G.

Excerpt: There were elements of the novel that I did like. The idea behind the novel itself – of spores of an alien civilization seeding itself upon the earth – was a fun one. I’d like to see a fleshed out version of this plot written with a bit of a blunter pen and more fitted into the sci-fi horror or sci-fi thriller categories. Obviously, the Lovecraftian references delighted me. (The ones that I caught, at least. I’m sure there were some I didn’t get.) There was a snippet of a poem from Lovecraft that she shares near the end of the book that was truly beautiful. I have the full poem marked for reading later. And I did like the connections she made across the ages to add a bit of depth to the story.

Link: See Lilyn’s full review here.

David Dubrow:

Excerpt: Part of the fun of the novel involves identifying the various references the author places throughout the text: brain-excised cadavers, strangely-worked cylinders, steps to Deeper Slumber, Slaughterhouse-Five, and more. It helps to know and love Lovecraft’s body of work to understand what’s going on, except when Kiernan goes off-script, like with the character of Immacolata Sexton.

Link: See David’s Full Review Here.

Michael Patrick Hicks:

Excerpt: This is a short, but dense, narrative, and Kiernan hops around from one time period to the next. There are a lot of awesome ideas crammed into this novella, from the mystery of those briefly lost hours when the New Horizon’s satellite went dark just before reaching Pluto, to the investigation of a small group of murdered cultists and the strange, fungal infection that has seized their bodies. For the most part, though, the focus is on present-day (well, July 2015 to be exact), but Kiernan plays fast and loose with the timeline, presenting information in non-linear dollops.

Link: See Michael’s full review here.

S.A. Barton

I chose not to do an official review as I’m more of a writer than a reader, but my two cents on Agents of Dreamland is: “Long on mysteriousness, strangeness, and oooh-gee-that’s-cool. Short on story.”

J.B. Rockwell

Excerpt: Overall, I’d say reading this books was an ‘experience’–a decidely ODD experience, but not unenjoyable. As I described it to a few writing buddies: ‘This books is a trippy-ass piece of strangeyosity.’ Read it with that in mind, and you won’t be disappointed.

Link: See J.B.’s full review here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.