Ah, possession movies, how I love to be scared by you.
The best possession movies (well, to be honest it doesn’t even take a particularly good one to do it) scare me silly. I think its a bit ironic that even though mostly not religious, some small part of me at least believes in the concept of good and evil, because possession movies -above all other kinds- scare the bejeezus out of me. Now, mind you, its not the whole being possessed thing that scares me, as much as it is the act of possession. Gyargh. Not having control over your own body… where does your mind go? Is it awake in there, or does it go into hibernation and you’re not aware of what the demon walking your meatsuit is doing?
Anyways, here’s the definitive list (at least in my opinion) of the best possession movies out there
- The Exorcist – This is THE definitive possession movie in my mind. No other one has lingered in my brain the way this one has.
- Paranormal Activity 1 – The other PAs quickly lost steam, but I remember watching this one in the theatres, and how I was shocked my partner didn’t have bruises around his upper arm from how many times I dug my fingers in as I jumped in fright. I’ll admit, just like The Exorcist, this movie still lingers in my head and scares me. Especially the part where the thing grabs her by the leg…Toe monsters are real, people!
- Child’s Play – Annabel doesn’t hold a candle to Chucky in terms of possessed dolls (there’s a technicality there, but I don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t seen Annabel yet.) I used to collect porcelain dolls. After I saw Child’s Play, that stopped. They got tied to their chairs, put in a plastic bag, stuffed in the closet, and I blocked the door with a chair. To this day I still give anything above the basic barbie a wary glance when I enter the room and see one.
- Occulus – Just the way everything happens, with the brother and sister losing their mind, losing time… the cameras catching them doing stuff that they’re not aware of doing, even as they continue to act normally. Gyargh!
- The Possession of Michael King – Okay, its not as much that this movie is truly scary as the premise behind it is freaking terrifying. I’d be curious to see how many people who rate themselves anywhere from mildly non-religious to die-hard atheists are at least a little wary of doing something like summoning a demon just because they think its baloney. (Actually, please look for the poll at the end of this post!)
Do you disagree with my choices? Feel free to argue your points!
Honorable Mentions (at least one fantastic scene I remember, but not enough to make my list of bests). I will keep it as vague as possible in case you haven’t seen some of the movies.
- The Conjuring – When the possessed is tied to the chair with the item over its head.
- Exorcist II: The Heretic – The scene involving the priest’s heart.
- Annabel – When the doll “levitates” in the sunlight.
Which HP Lovecraft story is better?
- The Color Out of Space (100%, 1 Votes)
- The Shadow Over Innsmouth (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Call of Cthulhu (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 1